Photo Manipulation Tutorials
In this beginners Photoshop CS3 tutorial we will be taking a photograph of a girl (I'm using a photo of Alexia, my friend's daughter for her birthday banner) and with photoshop graphic effects, filter effects and using some photoshop tools we will convert her picture into a cartoon drawing.
1. Just like any Photoshop tutorials, we will open an image that we would like to manipulate. Make sure the image is in RGB mode. To check this, go to Image under the menu bar - Mode - RGB Color.
Make a duplicate of this layer as you will be working on this layer going forward.
2. First we need to Duplicate (Ctrl+J) the layer. Now we will be applying the Poster Edges filter. To do this, go to Filter > Artistic > Poster Edges. I'm using these settings: Edge Thickness: 0 Edge Intensity: 0 Posterization: 2.
3. After the Poster Edges effect, we will Adjust the Brightness & Contrast with the values: Brightness Value: 10 Contrast: 30.
4. Now we will do an artistic cut out effect to give it that cartoon look. Go to Filter > Artistic > Cut Out. I'm setting values: Number of Levels: 7, Edge Simplicity: 0 and Edge Fidelity: 2. And this is what you get!
5. I'm not satisfied with the outcome so I have to take deeper action on it. This time, I use the Pen tool (shape layers) to trace over the key lines from our image per color.
•Don't worry if you don't get the lines in just the right place - you may prefer the changes you accidentally made (sometimes you can get new ideas this way).
•You can always adjust the anchor points and amount of curvature. While using the pen tool, just press the Control button, and the cursor will change into the direct select tool (white headed arrow). You can then go back and adjust any of the anchor points you previously made.
Since, my friend suggested to make the layout with Angry Birds theme, I change the balloon into an Angry Bird character.
Well, here's the final result of this tutorial!
Here's another edited photo with Angry Birds theme: